The system setup I’m using is based on Exchange 2010 SP1 UR2.
This post is a summary of everything that have been written about Outlook 2007 and the archive feature.
Outlook versions that includes the Online Archive feature
Office Professional Plus with volume license
Office Ultimate (retail)
*Office Enterprise with volume license
Outlook Standalone (retail)
Outlook Standalone with volume license
* The version I’m using in my tests
Office 2007 Service Pack 2 needs to be installed before any of the hotfixes will be installed, the Service Pack can be found here:
The first hotfix that should enable the online archiving feature were made available online in Dec 2010: (Don’t use this one)
But unfortunately there were issues in this hotfix
When the archive feature is working and the archive is enabled on a mailbox it should look like this
I’m using the latest hotfix that was released on the 28th of February.
Read about the cumulative update and download it from here:
Request the hotfix from here:
Cached Exchange Mode and Archive Mailboxes
In Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2007, users can access archive mailboxes only when they’re connected to the Exchange server. The connection can be an RPC (over TCP) connection, or Outlook Anywhere (aka RPC over HTTP). Even if the Outlook profile is configured to use Cached Exchange Mode, the archive mailbox is never cached locally to the user’s computer. When the user is no longer connected to Exchange, the archive mailbox becomes inaccessible. The locally cached primary mailbox remains accessible if using Cached Exchange Mode.
Once the archive mailbox is visible in Outlook 2007, users can expand the folder hierarchy, and are able to perform the following operations:
- Move or copy messages and folders between their primary mailbox and the archive mailbox
Move or copy messages and folders between a PST file and their archive mailbox (if access to PST files is not blocked by the administrator).
Note: In Exchange 2010 SP1, administrators can also use mailbox import requests to import data from PST files to either the user’s archive or primary mailbox. For more information, see Understanding Mailbox Import and Export Requests.
- Export or import messages to and from the archive mailbox
- Use Inbox Rules to automatically move messages to a folder in the archive mailbox
However, Outlook 2007 does not support the following functionality:
- Search across primary and archive mailboxes: When a user searches the primary mailbox, and selects All Mailbox Items, Outlook does not search the archive mailbox. Similarly, when the user searches the archive mailbox, the primary mailbox is not searched.
- Archive policies: In Outlook 2007, users can’t use personal tags (also known as archive policies) to move items to the archive mailbox. Any default archive policies for the mailbox continue to be applied. Users can use Outlook Web App to see or apply archive policies.